1. Daneshvar DH, Riley DO, Nowinski CJ, McKee AC, Stern RA, Cantu RC. Long-Term Consequences: Effects on Normal Development Profile After Concussion. Phys Med Rehabil Clin N Am, 22, 603-670, October 2011.
2. Concussion (mild traumatic brain injury) and the team physician: a consensus statement. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2006;38(2):395–9.
3. Barkhoudarian G, Hovda DA, Giza CC. The molecular pathophysiology of concussive brain injury. Clin Sports Med 2011;30(1):33–48, vii–iii.
4. Faul M, Xu L, Wald MM, et al. Traumatic brain injury in the United States: emergency department visits, hospitalizations and deaths 2002–2006. Washington, DC: US Department of Health and Human Services; 2010
5. CDC. Nonfatal traumatic brain injuries from sports and recreation activities— United States, 2001–2005. Atlanta (GA): Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2007.
6. Daneshvar DH, Nowinski CJ, McKee AC, et al. The epidemiology of sport related concussion. Clin Sports Med 2011;30(1):1–17, vii.
7. McCrory, Paul, Meeuwisse, Willem H., Aubry, Mark, Cantu, Bob, Dvorak, Jiri, Echemendia, Ruben J., Engebretsen, Lars, Johnston, Karen, Kutcher, Jeffrey S., Raftery, Martin, Sills, Allen, Benson, Brian W., Davis, Gavin A., Ellenbogen, Richard G., Guskiewicz, Kevin, Herring, Stanley A., Iverson, Grant L., Jordan, Barry D., Kissick, James, McCrea, Michael, McIntosh, Andrew S., Maddocks, David, Makdissi, Michael, Purcell, Laura, Putukian, Margot, Schneider, Kathryn, Tator, Charles H. & Turner, Michael (2013). Consensus statement on concussion in sport: the 4th International Conference on Concussion in Sport held in Zurich, November 2012. British Journal of Sports Medicine, (2013:4), p. 250-258.
8. Rose, Sean C., Kevin D. Weber, James B. Collen, and Geoffrey L. Heyer. "The Diagnosis and Management of Concussion in Children And Adolescents." Pediatric Neurology 53.2 (2015): 108-18. Web.
9. The epidemiology and impact of traumatic brain injury: a brief overview.
Langlois JA, Rutland-Brown W, Wald MM. J Head Trauma Rehabil. 2006 Sep-Oct; 21(5):375-8.
10. Rivara FP, Schiff MA, Chrisman SP, Chung SK, Ellenbogen RG, Herring SA. (2014). The effect of coach education on reporting of concussions among high school athletes after passage of a concussion law. Amer J Sports Med, May, 2014, 42(5):1197-1203.
11. Griesbach GS, Gomez-Pinilla F, Hovda DA. The upregulation of plasticity-related proteins following TBI is disrupted with acute voluntary exercise. Brain Res. 2004;1016(2):154–162
12. Piao CS, Stoica BA, Wu J, et al. Late exercise reduces neuroinflammation and cognitive dysfunction after traumatic brain injury. Neurobiol Dis. 2013;54:252–263
13. Elbin R, Sufrinko A, Schatz P, et al. Removal From Play After Concussion and Recovery Time. Pediatrics 2016;138(3):e20160910
14. Giza CC, Hovda DA (2001). The neurometabolic cascade of concussion. J Athl Train 36: 228–235
15. Scorza, K. A., Raleigh, M. F., & O’Connor, F. G. (2012). Current concepts in concussion: Evaluation and management. American Family Physician, 85(2), 123–132.
16. Tierney, R. T., Higgins, M., Caswell, S. V., Brady, J., McHardy, K., Driban, J. B., et al. (2008). Sex differences in head acceleration during heading while wearing soccer headgear. Journal of Athletic Training, 43(6), 578–584.
17. Kutcher, Jeffrey S., and Joanne C. Gerstner. Back in the Game: Why Concussion Doesn't Have to End Your Athletic Career. New York: Oxford UP, 2017. Print.
18. Collins, Christy L., Erica N. Fletcher, Sarah K. Fields, Lisa Kluchurosky, Mary Kay Rohrkemper, R. Dawn Comstock, and Robert C. Cantu. "Neck Strength: A Protective Factor Reducing Risk for Concussion in High School Sports." The Journal of Primary Prevention J Primary Prevent 35.5 (2014): 309-19. Web.
19. Viano, D. C., Casson, I. R., & Pellman, E. J. (2007). Concussion in professional football: Biomechanics of the struck player part 14. Neurosurgery, 61, 313–328.
20. Guskiewicz, Kevin M., and Steven P. Broglio. "Acute Sports-related Traumatic Brain Injury and Repetitive Concussion." Handbook of Clinical Neurology Traumatic Brain Injury, Part I (2015): 157-72. Web.
21. Broglio SP, Cantu RC, Gioia GA et al. (2014). National Athletic Trainers’ Association (NATA) position statement on the management of sport concussion. J Athl Train 49: 245–265.
22. Guskiewicz KM, Bruce SL, Cantu RC et al. (2004). National Athletic Trainers’ Association position statement: management of sport-related concussion. J Athl Train 29: 280–297.
23. Bratman, Gregory N., J. Paul Hamilton, Kevin S. Hahn, Gretchen C. Daily, and James J. Gross. "Nature Experience Reduces Rumination and Subgenual Prefrontal Cortex Activation." Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 112.28 (2015): 8567-572. Web.
24. Perkins AJ, Hendrie HC, Callahan CM, Gao S, Unverzagt FW, Xu Y, Hall KS, Hui SL. Association of antioxidants with memory in a multiethnic elderly sample using the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Am J Epidemiol. 1999;150(1):37–44.
25. Elkind, Jaclynn A., Miranda M. Lim, Brian N. Johnson, Chris P. Palmer, Brendan J. Putnam, Matthew P. Kirschen, and Akiva S. Cohen. "Efficacy, Dosage, and Duration of Action of Branched Chain Amino Acid Therapy for Traumatic Brain Injury." Frontiers in Neurology Front. Neurol. 6 (2015): n. pag. Web.
26. Salem N, Jr., Litman B, Kim HY, Gawrisch K. Mechanisms of action of docosahexaenoic acid in the nervous system. Lipids. 2001;36(9):945–59.
27. USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Release 27.
28. Devi, Gayatri, M.D. "The Interesting Case of LCD Screens and Post Concussive Headaches." Huffington Post. N.p., 11 Sept. 2013. Web. 19 Sept. 2016.
29. (A–Z), By All Topics. "Symptoms Of A Concussion: Management & Recovery | Cleveland Clinic." Symptoms Of A Concussion: Management & Recovery | Cleveland Clinic. N.p., n.d. Web. 20 Sept. 2016.
30."How Much Sleep Do I Need?" Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 12 Nov. 2015. Web. 20 Sept. 2016.
31.Committee on Sports-Related Concussions in Youth; Board on Children, Youth, and Families; Institute of Medicine; National Research Council. Sports-Related Concussions in Youth: Improving the Science, Changing the Culture. Washington, DC: National Academies Press; 2014
32. Hynes LM, Dickey JP. Is there a relationship between whiplash-associated disorders and concussion in hockey? A preliminary study. Brain Inj. 2006 Jan;20(2):179–88.
33. Spitzer WO, Skovron ML, Salmi LR, et al. Scientific monograph of the Quebec Task Force on whiplash-associated disorders: redefining ‘whiplash’ and its management. Spine 1995;20:1S–73S.
34. Young WF. The enigma of whiplash injury. Current management strategies and controversies. Postgraduate Medicine 2001;109:179–176.
35. Armstrong B, McNair P, Taylor D. Head and neck position sense. Sports Med. 2008;38:101–117.
36. Endo K, Ichimaru K, Komagata M, et al. Cervical vertigo and dizziness after whiplash injury. Eur Spine J. 2006;15:886–890.
37. Treleaven J. Dizziness, unsteadiness, visual disturbances, and postural control: implications for the transition to chronic symptoms after a whiplash trauma. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2011;36(25 suppl):S211–S217.
38. Treleaven, J., G. Jull, and L. Atkinson. "Cervical Musculoskeletal Dysfunction in Post-concussional Headache." Cephalalgia 14.4 (1994): 273-79. Web.
39. Leddy JJ, Sandhu H, Sodhi V, et al. Rehabilitation of concussion and post-concussion syndrome. Sports Health. 2012;4:147–154.
40. Schneider KJ, Iverson GL, Emery CA, et al. The effects of rest and treatment following sport-related concussion: a systematic review of the literature. Br J Sports Med. 2013;47:304–307.
41. Gall B, Parkhouse W, Goodman D. Heart rate variability of recently concussed athletes at rest and exercise. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2004;36:1269–1274.
42. Hanna-Pladdy B, Berry ZM, Bennett T, et al. Stress as a diagnostic challenge for postconcussive symptoms: sequelae of mild traumatic brain injury or physiological stress response. Clin Neuropsychol. 2001;15:289–304.
43. King ML, Lichtman SW, Seliger G, et al. Heart-rate variability in chronic traumatic brain injury. Brain Inj. 1997;11:445–453.
44. Leddy JJ, Kozlowski K, Fung M, et al. Regulatory and autoregulatory physiological dysfunction as a primary characteristic of post concussion syndrome: implications for treatment. Neurorehabilitation. 2007;22:199–205.
45. Leddy, John J., Karl Kozlowski, James P. Donnelly, David R. Pendergast, Leonard H. Epstein, and Barry Willer. "A Preliminary Study of Subsymptom Threshold Exercise Training for Refractory Post-Concussion Syndrome." Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine 20.1 (2010): 21-27. Web.
46. DeWitt DS, Prough DS. Traumatic cerebral vascular injury: the effects of concussive brain injury on the cerebral vasculature. J Neurotrauma. 2003; 20:795–825
47. Baker, John G. et al. “Return to Full Functioning after Graded Exercise Assessment and Progressive Exercise Treatment of Postconcussion Syndrome.” Rehabilitation Research and Practice 2012 (2012): 705309. PMC. Web. 13 Oct. 2016.
48. Carter JB, Banister EW, Blaber AP. Effect of endurance exercise on autonomic control of heart rate. Sports Med. 2003;33:33–46.
49. Doering TJ, Resch KL, Steuernagel B, et al. Passive and active exercises increase cerebral blood flow velocity in young, healthy individuals. Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 1998;77:490–493.
50. Daneshvar, Daniel H., David O. Riley, Christopher J. Nowinski, Ann C. Mckee, Robert A. Stern, and Robert C. Cantu. "Long-Term Consequences: Effects on Normal Development Profile After Concussion." Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Clinics of North America 22.4 (2011): 683-700. Web.
51. Master, C. L., M. Scheiman, M. Gallaway, A. Goodman, R. L. Robinson, S. R. Master, and M. F. Grady. "Vision Diagnoses Are Common After Concussion in Adolescents." Clinical Pediatrics 55.3 (2015): 260-67. Web
52. Barnett, Brad P., and Eric L. Singman. "Vision Concerns After Mild Traumatic Brain Injury." Curr Treat Options Neurol Current Treatment Options in Neurology 17.2 (2015): n. pag. Web.
53. Suh M, Kolster R, Sarkar R, McCandliss B, Ghajar J. Deficits in predictive smooth pursuit after mild traumatic brain injury. Neurosci Lett. 2006;401(1 2):108–13.
54. Miller LJ, Mittenberg W, Carey VM, McMorrow MA, Kushner TE, Weinstein JM. Astereopsis caused by traumatic brain injury. Arch Clin Neuropsychol. 1999;14:537–43.
55. Han Y, Ciuffreda KJ, Kapoor N. Reading-related oculomotor testing and training protocols for acquired brain injury in humans. Brain Res Brain Res Protoc. 2004;14(1):1–12.
56.Kapoor N, Ciuffreda KJ. Vision disturbances following traumatic brain injury. Curr Treat Options Neurol. 2002;4(4):271–80.
57. Brahm KD, Wilgenburg HM, Kirby J, Ingalla S, Chang CY, Goodrich GL. Visual impairment and dysfunction in combat-injured servicemembers with traumatic brain injury. Optom Vis Sci. 2009;86:817-825.
58. Doble JE, Feinberg DL, Rosner MS, Rosner AJ. Identificain of binocular vision dysfucntion (vertical heterophoria) in traumatic brain injury patients and effects of individualized prismatic spectacle lenses in the treatment of postconcussive symptoms: a retrospective analysis. PM R. 2010;2:244-53.
59. Green W, Ciuffreda KJ, Thiagarajan P, Szymanowicz D, Ludlam DP, Kapoor N. Accommodation in mild traumatic brain injury. J Rehabil Res Dev. 2010;47:183-199.
60. Goodrich GL, Flyg HM, Kirby JE, Chang CY, Martinsen GL. Mechanisms of mTBI and visual consequences in military and veteran populations. Optom Vis Sci. 2013;90:105-112.
61. Stelmack JA, Frith T, Van Koevering D, Rinne S, Stelmack TR. Visual function in patients followed at a Veterans Affairs polytrauma network site: an electronic medical record review. Optometry. 2009;80:419-424.
62. Suchoff IB, Kapoor N, Waxman R, Ference W. The occurrence of ocular and visual dysfunctions in an acquired brain-injured patient sample. J Am Optom Assoc. 1999;70:301-308.
63.Ellis, Michael J., Lesley J. Ritchie, Mark Koltek, Shahid Hosain, Dean Cordingley, Stephanie Chu, Erin Selci, Jeff Leiter, and Kelly Russell. "Psychiatric Outcomes after Pediatric Sports-related Concussion." Journal of Neurosurgery: Pediatrics 16.6 (2015): 709-18. Web.
64. Azulay, Joanne, Colette M. Smart, Tasha Mott, and Keith D. Cicerone. "A Pilot Study Examining the Effect of Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction on Symptoms of Chronic Mild Traumatic Brain Injury/Postconcussive Syndrome." Journal of Head Trauma Rehabilitation 28.4 (2013): 323-31. Web.
65. National Institute of Health