The goal of the 2018 Concussion Awareness Weekend is to promote a safer sports culture surrounding concussions through Headway’s ‘New Tough’ Campaign, spread awareness, and provide educational resources for student-athletes.
Concussion Awareness Weekend provides a platform for athletes to unite in creating a positive mental shift in athletes' approach to concussions. Headway encourages an athlete-to-athlete, peer-to-peer approach. Collegiate student-athletes will have the opportunity to serve as leaders in this initiative and hopefully have a positive influence on youth and high school athletes who will simultaneously be taking part in the 2018 Concussion Awareness Weekend.
Team Representative Description:
Each team will have 1 to 2 Team Reps who will serve as Headway’s point of contact for Concussion Awareness Weekend Feb 2-4, 2018. The Team Rep will help ensure everything is in place prior to the weekend, share concussion educational resources with teammates, and encourage support/enthusiasm around the cause.
Role of the Team Rep:
Email the below links to your team. Encourage teammates to watch the New Tough Video and take the New Tough Pact.
1. Headway’s ‘New Tough’ Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJPp7oMvYSQ
2. The New Tough Pact - click “Make the Pact” at the following link and fill out the 10 second form here: http://headwayfoundation.com/newtough/
What is New Tough? New Tough is a campaign that challenges the 'tough-it-out' mentality. We seek to reframe and broaden an athlete's definition of toughness when it comes to concussions. With New Tough, we acknowledge that sometimes dealing with concussions in the right way is the harder thing to do, and it requires a new type of toughness: one that involves symptom reporting, supporting injured teammates, and promoting safe play.
Have entire Team wear Headway Stickers on helmets during Concussion Awareness Weekend games:
Headway Stickers serve as a symbol and reminder of the New Tough commitment. We will provide the stickers for free. Please complete at the bottom of the page to let us know to whom (you, a teammate, an equipment manager, or a coach) and to where we should mail the stickers. Please provide a reliable address and expect these stickers to arrive between the second and forth week in January.
Take a PICTURE with a Headway Banner
Below are examples of the pictures we are asking each team to take. We will mail the banner to the same address you provided for the stickers. Please take this picture either before the weekend or during the weekend. Please post this picture on social media directly and/or email this picture to email@example.com
Make a VIDEO spreading the New Tough culture
We want to give you room for creativity. We only ask that you incorporate 'New Tough' in some capacity.
Some ideas for the video include the following:
1) A video expressing why you are 'New Tough' athletes and what this means (some teams took dialogue directly from our New Tough page here: http://headwayfoundation.com/newtough/ ). We encourage you to say X school is New Tough. Check out the Brown and Cornell videos below.
2) Share a personal experience you may have had with concussions and/or explain why the initiative is important to you/your team. Check out Clarkson Men's Hockey below.
3. Make a video that is short and sweet, like Clarkson Women's Hockey.
4. If you and your teammates already made a video, you can use a similar format to Quinnipiac to describe what you got out of last years experience and why you think the initiative is important!
5) Do something fun and creative! Check out Colgate's video.
You can also show support for teammates who may be out with injuries.
Videos are optional and can be released/posted on social media at anytime leading up to the Concussion Awareness Weekend. Please email videos to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please share these videos on your teams social media outlets and encourage your teammates to share as well.
Check out more videos from the 2017 Concussion Awareness Weekend here: http://headwayfoundation.com/ecachockey/
Posting on social media:
Please connect with whomever runs your team social media accounts to post about Concussion Awareness Weekend (and/or connect us with them!). We encourage you and your teammates to post about the weekend as well!
Suggestions on what to post?
1) Picture of a Headway sticker on your helmet
2) Picture of your team with the Headway banner
3) The video you make
4) If your team is fundraising, share the link to the fundraising page.
Hashtags to use:
Promote a dialogue on concussions within your team:
Why is this initiative important to you and why could this be important for your team? Have you personally suffered from concussions and want to convey a message to your team? Do you want to support a teammate who has been sidelined by a concussion? Do you believe players can and should do a better job reporting symptoms? We encourage you to take this initiative to a more personal level for you and your team.